The village of Montalcino is the home of the best-known wine in the world and its inhabitants who are curiously called Ilcinians, in memory of Monte Ilcinus, the mount of holm oaks, from which the name Montalcino comes. The village was a point of contention between the city of Siena and the city of Florence, so much so that a fortress had to be built to protect the place. The construction of the fortress was initiated in 1361 by Domenico di Feo and Mino Foresi, who incorporated the pre-existing part of the walls and towers. It was designed no longer with a classic square shape, but with an irregular pentagonal shape and with towers placed on the corners of the walls. The Porta del Cassero was used for access, via a ramp, to the upper part where the Chapel is located, in the Church of Sant'Egidio. The towers are crowned by small arches with battlements that are still well preserved today. On the opposite side of the Porta del Cassero, there is a door that leads to the Bastion of San Giovanni, the most reinforced area of the Fortress, where there is a garden of holm oaks. After the fall of Siena and the taking of power by the Medici family, a buttress from the Medici period and the coat of arms of the Florentine family were added on the external walls. Inside, there is a large courtyard which is now used for theatrical performances, shows and cultural events. The city walls can be walked along, showing the marvellous surrounding landscape.