Crossing the Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square), we often hardly notice this ancient and splendid loggia, which is part of a fourteenth-century building that contains a museum.
Since 1300, the Loggia and its small Palace have been the location of the Arciconfraternita della Misericordia di Firenze, an institution founded in 1244 by St Peter Martyr to assist sick people. In 1425, the Archconfraternity that took the name of Misericordia merged with the Compagnia del Bigallo, also founded by St Peter martyr, which looked after orphaned children. In the middle of the 16th century, the Misericordia moved not far away. The Gothic-style Loggia is formed by two rounded arches, decorated with splendid bas-reliefs and two frescoes, surrounded by balustrades and small gates, and it offers a different view of the Piazza del Duomo.
Inside, there is the beautiful and little-known Museum containing the exquisite Madonna della Misericordia by the Bernardo Daddi school, at the feet of which there is a depiction of the most ancient view of Florence.