The museum of the Opera di Santa Croce is located in the rooms of the ancient refectory and in the wing of the convent that divides the two cloisters. The main room was built in the first half of the fourteenth century. It has a trussed ceiling and receives its light through large mullioned windows. The museum was inaugurated on 2 December 900 and the most important emblem is the gigantic Crucified Christ by Cimabue, which suffered considerable damage during the flood in 1966. On the right wall, near the Christ, there is a fresco by Giovanni del Biondo, dating back to around 1380, which depicts the scene of the arrival of the friars minor in Florence. The city can be recognised from the Baptistry , the Cathedral , Giotto's bell tower and the Loggia della Misericordia which later became the Loggia del Bigallo. The episode reminds us of when the friars arrived in Florence and were mistaken for beggars, but they refused the charity offered, declaring that they were poor by choice.
The entire back wall is occupied by the Last Supper above which there is the Crucifixion, both works by Taddeo Gaddi. The second cloister is attributed to Bernardo Rossellino and is made of pietra serena and the pendentives are adorned with graffiti and raised tondi. Also worth remembering are the famous Tree of Life and Final Judgment by Taddeo Gaddi, dated 1333, and Hell by Andrea Orcagna, among the most important works of fourteenth century Florence.
Informations: Opera Santa Croce