In San Gimignano, there is a square that has a distinctive triangular shape. It is located near Piazza Duomo and was built in the 13th century, following the natural slope of the land. This is Piazza della Cisterna and it had the function of accommodating the market, city tournaments and festivals in San Gimignano. The name of the square comes from the underlying monumental cistern intended for the collection of water for public use. The cistern was built in 1287 and there is a travertine marble well over it on an octagonal pedestal.
On the southwest side of the square, there is the Arco dei Becci, a city gate dating back to the 10th century walls. Palazzo Razzi and Palazzo Tortolì Treccani look out onto the square, along with a typical truncated tower dating back to the 13th century.